Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Yikes! What a scare!

Yesterday, one of our neighbors posted a request for computer help in our community message forum. I responded and asked him to call me. He did. We arranged to meet at his house this morning. Anne planned to go help Greg at his house, so I just walked over to the neighbor's house, which was about a mile away.

Yeah, I was feeling good. I was out walking and the day was wonderful. I was wearing a pair of running shoes and not even walking fast. My shoulder felt good. I smiled.

One of the houses had a concrete drive with a small cobblestone surface. I did not think anything about it. It looked like the sidewalk in front of our house. A thin invisible dew film clung to those cobblestones. As I stepped on to it, it felt like I had just stepped into the middle of a patch of ice in downtown Minneapolis. I actually did that one time and I remember the totally helpless feeling as my feet went out from under me and I hit the ground.

That is what happened. I fell toward my left side and forward. Instinctively, my hands reached out to break the fall, but a little voice told me to protect my shoulder. Most of my weight came down on my left hand, but my right palm hit the driveway, causing pain to shoot through my injured right shoulder. I was sick and the words came hurtling through my mind "THIS WASN'T MY FAULT!"

I called my good friend from Church to take me to the doctor. They performed a full examination and did an X-ray. Dr. Bryan declared my shoulder is fine and looks good. He told me to come back in six weeks. He said now is the "boring period" of just letting my shoulder heal and being careful.

Tears of relief.

Bob


2 comments:

Lisa said...

words cannot express the horror i felt reading this. thank goodness you're ok.

Melissa-D said...

I'm SO glad you are ok. For your next birthday, I'm buying you bubble wrap!! ;)